Friday 4 October 2019

What It's Like Being Bisexual

There has been a lot of controversy lately involving bisexual people that has really pissed me off. If you have read my ‘Being young and gay’ blog post, you’ll know I am bisexual. If you didn’t read it, hello I am bisexual.

Luckily I have never really experienced any physical biphobia in my life. I know a lot of people do and that really upsets me. The worst that has ever happened to me personally, is people telling me I’m in a phase, or that I should pick a side. I’ve been told that bisexual people don’t exist and you’re either gay/lesbian or you’re straight. The worst people for telling me I’m invalid is gay white men. Gay people, white men specifically have been the least accepting to me, and that really sucks! The LGBTQ+ community is supposed to be such a happy liberating place where everyone is accepted and loved for who they are; it is for the most part, don’t get me wrong.
If you have never had a relationship with someone who is the same gender as you, you are still valid. Sexuality is about who you are attracted to, not who you’ve dated. You can also have a preference and still be valid. There is no right or wrong way to be bisexual.

There has been a lot of talk recently about having bisexual removed from the LGBTQ+ community because it’s apparently transphobic to be bisexual. Which isn’t true at all. So, the definition of bisexuality is attraction to no-one specific gender. People claim that non-binary people are excluded from this which is wrong. This is considered controversial because if you are attracted to anyone regardless of their gender, or if they don’t identify as any one gender, then you are considered pansexual. Love is love though, guys. As someone who is bisexual, I believe I could fall in love with anyone no matter what. That doesn’t make me any less bisexual.

Bisexuals are constantly having to fight against erasure within our own community. The ‘B’ in LGBTQ+ is for bisexual, so if anyone ever tells you that you’re invalid don’t listen to them! No matter what label you identify as, or if you don’t label yourself at all, you. are. valid.
Bi-erasure is such a huge problem in and out of the LGBTQ+ community. Freddie Mercury, the lead singer from Queen was a bisexual man. Yet he is always portrayed as a gay man. Gay and white, he was neither of those. Society likes to belittle bisexual people and force them to ‘pick a side’. You do not need to pick a side. You are valid.

I saw a video earlier today of a gay white man at Pride, I’m assuming it was in New York, who was completely ignorant to the fact that Lady Gaga is a bisexual woman. Gaga does a lot for the LGBTQ+ community and this man just dismissed everything she had done. He was saying ‘it’s gay pride, not Lady Gaga pride’. She was at pride because she is bisexual, and even if she wasn’t she is a huge ally to the community. This is even more proof that we aren’t even accepted in to our own community.
Don’t feel you need to put up with biphobia within the LGBTQ+ community, stand up for yourselves and put anyone who says you’re not valid in their place. We should all stand together and not put each other down or discredit one another. Love and acceptance is what all of us seek.
Here are some bisexual celebrities for you to admire:

Lady Gaga,

Kehlani,

David Bowie,

Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day),

Drew Barrymore,

Aubrey Plaza,

Angelina Jolie,

Amber Heard,

Cara Delevigne,

Alan Cumming,

Amy Winehouse,

Cary Grant,

Hans Christian Anderson,

Lou Reed,

William Shakespeare,

Ke$ha,

Megan Fox,

Azealia Banks,

Orlando Jordan (wrestler).

So just know that so many people are bisexual and you’re not alone. You’re also not confused or greedy. Don’t let people put you down for loving someone.

If anyone ever wants to chat then you can message me on any of my social media (links at the bottom of the page) and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can!
Thank you for reading!
Bx

No comments:

Post a Comment