Monday 18 September 2017

First Impression Review: Revolution X Sophdoesnails eyeshadow palette!

So, when Sophdoesnails first announced her very own eyeshadow palette in collaboration with Makeup Revolution I was so excited. Makeup Revolution is one of my favourite brands ever, and I have most of their eyeshadow palettes already so I had an idea of what to expect. In the announcement video Sophdoesnails showed us the palette and did swatches of the shadows in the palette. The colours were gorgeous! I was hooked and knew right there and then I had to get this palette. So, as someone who works in the make up department of Superdrug I snatched it right up as soon as it came in to store. 

On first glance the product looks smart and attractive. The box is a pastel peach shade with gold metallic marks which Soph explained are paint 'splodges'. Even though I wouldn't have been able to guess what they were the packaging is attractive none the less. In the middle of the box is 'SophX' in the same gold metallic material. Once you open the box and take out the palette you're greeted with a matte nude palette. Once again 'SophX' is written on the actual palette itself. I like it! Its just a plain package, like most if not all of the Makeup Revolution palettes.



As soon as you open the palette you can see on the top there is a huge mirror! Which is amazing. Its the size of the palette so will make the application of the shadows incredibly easy. I remember in the video Soph said she wanted a big mirror in the palette so people can apply their eyeshadow, and the rest of their make up, easily; which I believe she achieved brilliantly. I'm always grateful for a palette with a considerate mirror. The palette comes with twenty-four shades; thirteen matte shades and eleven glitter/shimmer shades. All of the shades are so striking and beautiful. It includes a matte white and a matte black which is amazing as I often find that palettes don't just come with matte black and white shades, it's either one or the other or they're shimmer shades. So, this was a delight. There are plenty of nude shades in this palette which I feel would work incredibly with all skin tones. 

I swatched all the shades and I was pleasantly surprised with most of them! I'll insert pictures of all the swatches I did below:
Here we have Penguin, Pancakes and fairy lights;

The top photo is without flash and the bottom photo is with flash. As you can see here the shades a very pale, I believe they are the palest shades in the whole palette which makes the fantastic base colours or transition shades. Penguin, the matte white shade is perfect for placing on your lid as a base before you apply any other shades. It's blend-able with a light coverage over the lid. Pancakes the more orange nude shade is perfect as a crease shade, its also blend-able. The third shade in the palette is Fairy Lights which is a beautiful pale shimmer shade. Its a very pale pink that works brilliantly as an inner corner and brow bone highlighter. All of these shades are very subtle and perfect if you're looking for a subtle, barely-there eyeshadow look.

The next three shades in the palette are Pink Champagne, Iced Coffee and cuppa tea:

Top photo with flash and bottom photo without flash. So the first shade in this trio is Pink Champagne which is a gorgeous light pink shimmer shade. It's brilliant for a very subtle eye look, good for school or work, that sort of thing. Iced Coffee the shade in the middle is a warm nude shade with orange undertones is a great transition shade and works well with the next shade Cuppa Tea. All three of these shades are highly pigmented therefore I wasn't disappointed with the palette so far.

Grow Old, Sparks Fly and Smokey Bronze are three more of the shimmer shades:

Top photo is without flash and bottom photo is with flash. These next three shades are very pigmented shimmer shades. I found with these shades there was quite a lot of fall out, but I find that with basically every Makeup Revolution palette so I wasn't particularly surprised, also it didn't really make a difference for me really as it's easily sorted out with a simple swipe of a brush. They're very pigmented but also very blend-able which is the make or break moment for eyeshadows.  

Mixed Berries, Tiramisu, Peaches:


Top with flash, bottom without. Mixed Berries is that gorgeous purple shimmer shade. It truly is a beautiful shade. I was shocked when I swatched it for the first shade. Love at first sight. Its so so, so pigmented and is intensly rich. Its got to be my favourite shade in the whole palette. Again with these shades there was rather a lot of fall out. All blend-able again and pigmented, so perfect shades.

Cloudberry, Pumpkin and Pine Tree:

Top with flash, bottom without. As you can see these shades look a little different from the rest of the shades. Personally I love this as she has included lots of shades that work really well together to create so many different looks. I also believe that these shades will look lovely on all skin tones, they're rather adjustable and also build-able if you have a darker complexion. Again with these ones they're very pigmented.

Petrol, Pug and Danger:

Top without flash, bottom with flash. So, one issue I have with these shades is that Petrol, the first shade in the trio pictured above, did not swatch the same colour it is in the pan. In the pan, as you can see from the photos I posted at the beginning, is like a very dark shimmery silver with blue undertones, yet when swatched it comes out a brown shimmer. To me this is disappointing as the shade in the pan is beautiful and I was looking forward to using it this Autumn/Winter. It is still usable, but I'm just a little disappointed with it. On another note, Danger is beautiful. I'm really in to red/orange/pink shades at the minute and this one fills all my warm toned dreams. Its blend-able and works with most of the shades in the palette.

Strawberry Sweets, Festive Flames and Copper Coin:

Top without flash, bottom with flash. Look at the first shade. Look at it. Isn't it just perfect?! So pigmented, so striking! I love it. It is bold and bright. It's everything you'd want/expect in an eyeshadow. I can't fault these three shades AT ALL. no complaints here. 

Mug Cake, Rosewood, Nightmare:

Top with flash, bottom without flash. Okay, so I need to explain this swatch. I know it looks awful but that black matte shade, Nightmare, had so much fall out it crumbled when I swatched it. I wanted to give a true impression of this product so I added this photo. Although fall out is extremely easy to combat this one took me by surprise. As you can see it's pigmented but again, it's very blend-able. The other two shades are faultless, they're also pigmented, blend-able and diverse with all the different shades you can use them with and the looks you can create. 

Overall I highly recommend this product, even with the few minor faults I found with it. I also discovered when swatching it kicks up a lot of product. Each pan claims to contain 1.1g of product which I think is pretty good considering you're getting twenty-four shades for £10. this makes each shade about 42p each. Can you complain? No, not really. It's an incredibly affordable palette and is available at Superdrug. I really recommend investing in this palette this Autumn/Winter to create lots of different looks. As this is very new product, this is first impressions review. I will come back to this product once I've had chance to properly wear it with the rest of my makeup and give you a review about how long it lasts, what it's like to apply and the different looks I can create with this one palette. I want to give it a really good test. 

Thanks for reading!
Bx

No comments:

Post a Comment