Friday 4 October 2019

My Favourite Films Part 1

Yep, this is part one. I'm not sure how many parts I'll actually write about all of my favourite films. I'm a cinephile so I have a lot. There is something magical about movies and the way you get sucked into them. I've always loved watching films, I even wanted to be in them when I was younger. I mean, I'd still love to be a part of a film, but the chances of that are rather slim now. Anyway, whilst I'm not in them, I like to watch them. I have a heap of films I adore so I thought that more than one post was the best way to express my love for them. Anyway, let's get going.
  • Cruel Intentions (1999): It's cliche, sad and funny all at the same time. It stars a rather handsome Ryan Phillippe as Sebastian Valmont and Sarah Michelle Gellar as his evil step-sister, Kathryn Merteuil. They come up with a plan, to feed their egos and reputations, to 'deflower' the new headmaster's daughter, Annette Hargrove - played by Reese Witherspoon, before school starts again after summer. I'm pretty sure you can figure out what happens... But that doesn't stop me from loving the film. Based on the book 'Les Liaisons Dangereuses' by Pierre Choderlos De Laclos.

  • The Devil Wears Prada (2006): This film single-handedly changed and defined my life. It's so inspiring I can't even begin to tell you. The scene where Meryl Streep tells Anne Hathaway how fashion and the fashion industry works, you know the one with Andy's blue sweater, was ICONIC. What a scene! Andy gets a job as the assistant to Miranda Priestly, the chief and editor of the fashion magazine - Runway. Let me tell you, they don't call Meryl Streep the greatest actor of all time for nothing. This film is a perfect example. I just love it so much, if you haven't seen it I really recommend watching it.
  • 75-og
    Nell Campbell, Tim Curry and Patricia Quinn in the Rocky Horror Picture Show
  • Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975): A classic. A cult classic. Now, this film really did define who I am as a person. Everyone has seen film right? If not, what the Hell are you doing? It's legendary. Starring the wonderful Tim Curry as an alien transvestite from Transylvania, what more could you want. I first watched this film when I very young, about four-years-old, oops... I think if I had never seen this film I would be a very different person. It's the campest, most wonderful musical you could imagine. You won't be able to help but do the 'Timewarp'.

  • The Great Gatsby (2013): As you all know, because I bang on about it all the time, 'The Great Gatsby' by F. Scott Fitzgerald is my favourite novel. Baz Luhrmann captures what the book is about in such a beautiful way. I tear up just thinking about it. Leonardo DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan as Jay Gatsby and Daisy is the best possible casting, I think. They both seem to encapture the characters personalities without romanticising the toxic relationship they both have. Don't even get me started on the incredible cinematography and soundtrack, I'd be here all day!

  • Romeo and Juliet (1996): Another Baz Luhrmann starring Leonardo DiCaprio. But this time, it's 90's Leo... Am I right gays and girls? Everyone knows the classic tragedy by William Shakespeare, and there have been countless recreations of it, yet Baz's version is a stand-out to me. Visually and musically it is so iconic and beautiful. I could sit and watch it over and over again - crying each time. It's the most wonderful film.

  • Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again (2018): If you read my Travel Bucket list post then you'll know I was truly inspired to pack up and travel on my own to so many wonderful and beautiful countries and cities. I want to live my Donna Sheridan life to the limits (minus the baby part). This film only came out this year, but I'd been waiting ten years for the sequel to the brilliant first film, 'Mamma Mia'. I love ABBA, musicals, Meryl Streep and Greece, so what is there not to like? I cried (a lot), laughed and sang whilst watching this film. Go check it out!

  • Batman: The Dark Knight (2008): I adore Heath Ledger and getting to see him play the infamous Batman Villain, The Joker, was something pretty special. I love Batman so this is the perfect mix. Christopher Nolan directed the trilogy: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. These dark takes on the Caped Crusader fill me with such joy. They are everything I would want in a superhero film. It's iconic, and Heath's mind-blowing performance will truly stick with you forever.

  • The Harry Potter Series (2001-2011): Growing up watching the Harry Potter films was something I'm pretty grateful for. They're so amazing. I just love everything about them, they mean a lot to me really. I love nothing more than just sitting down and having a major binge session, watching all eight films. Believe me, I've done it multiple times.
  • 93453-004-2CEB215D
    Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet in Titanic
  • Titanic (1997): I cry every single time I watch this damn film.Without fail. I cannot deal with how sad it is! Another 90's Leo film that makes me want to curl up and cry. A love story mixed in with the true events of the sinking of the Titanic in 1912. Kate Winslet, Rose, and Leo, Jack Dawson, have continued to be close friends and that makes me so happy. I just love it when they get together. I'm such a sucker for a sad, romance film.

  • Wuthering Heights: Again, this book to film is one of my favourites of all time. It has also been made multiple times, but this 1939 version starring Merle Oberon and Laurence Olivier really triggers some emotion in me. This black and white film is so beautiful. I love everything about it. Laurence Olivier really portrays the bitterness, love and control Heathcliff is all about. I made my Mum watch it with me and she loved it too, so you know it's a great film. If you have only seen more modern takes on 'Wuthering Heights' then I really suggest watching this version because there is just something truly special about it.
I hope you liked the first part of my favourite films. If you haven't seen any of the films on this list then please go and check them out. I like to think I have a broad appreciation for a lot of film types, so I'm certain you'll find something you'll like.
What are your favourite films?
Thanks for reading!
Bx

No comments:

Post a Comment