Friday 4 October 2019

My Thoughts On Jodie Whittaker As Doctor Who...

6c30827b366072cec2f2277493786503
Jodie Whittaker as The Doctor - BBC



Last night was the premiere of Jodie Whittaker's Doctor on BBC Doctor Who. When it was announced last year that the next Doctor would be a woman, let's just say some people had some things to say. For me though, I was so excited and thrilled. Seeing a woman play a character who has only been portrayed by men was so exciting. I mean, I've only waited thirteen years!

I have to say I was nervous. Nervous for Jodie, and how she would be welcomed, that's a lot of pressure, but also nervous about how she would be written. I was worried she wouldn't be as powerful and impactful as the previous Doctors. But the more I thought about it the more I realised that Jodie would never let that happen.

What did I think of last nights premiere? Well... I have a lot to say about it. Firstly, I loved it. I absolutely adored it. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I adore Jodie. It was such a wonderful thing to happen and I am just grateful I got to see it. Jodie Whittaker portrayed The Doctor perfectly, she was believable and didn't come across as trying to hard to live up to the standards. She seemed natural in the role, it is very clear she was born to play The Doctor. This episode was titled 'The Woman Who Fell To Earth'. We caught a glimpse of what she'd be like in the last Christmas episode when Peter Capaldi, the Twelfth Doctor, regenerated. I knew she would be great from that moment on. The cinematography of that scene was amazing, her ring falling off and hitting the floor of the TARDIS was just beautiful. Jodie has been compared to the Eleventh Doctor - Matt Smith. They do share some similarities, which is great. Jodie does make the role her own though, I noticed little moments of inspiration from a few Doctors which is okay, they are all the same character after all. Jodie's Doctor currently has three companions, I don't know if they'll all be in it for the whole series, but I think they will. There are Yaz, Ryan and Graham. At the beginning of the episode, I wasn't too convinced by them, but now I think they're going to be great companions to her. Graham definitely redeemed himself.

Doctor Who_Series 11_Costume Reveal
Picture shows: The Doctor (Jodie Whittaker)

Last nights episode was incredible. There was a new energy to the show. It seemed fresher than usual. The CGI was better than past seasons. I really cannot fault this episode. It had all of the elements that makes Doctor Who universally great. This episode does get me really excited for the rest of the series! I hope Jodie continues to play The Doctor for more than one series; she was charismatic and funny. There were so many great scenes in this episode, the writing was so spot on - thanks Chris Chibnall. We are yet to see her fly the TARDIS, but I already know it's going to be iconic. Plus her outfit is so sweet! I love it. I've seen comments comparing her outfit to children entertainers, but that's a load of rubbish; she looks fantastic. The monster is last nights episode was pretty scary too! Have you ever seen 'Jeepers Creepers'? Well imagine the 'Creeper', but with human teeth stuck on its face. Pretty grim. Throughout the episode, I was trying to hold back tears.

7e400585b3a95dab4b5f4de82b9b76da
Jodie Whittaker in a Doctor Who promotion - BBC

I was so emotional, I still am, about the whole thing. Not only because she's a woman, and I love women, but because times are changing. My little sister, who is four, is growing up in a world where women are taking control. Women are portrayed to be strong, powerful and smart, everything they are in real life. I mean, when I was growing up there was minimal representation of women being able to do and be whatever they want. Obviously, there were some inspiring women in TV and film, but nothing compared to today. It gives me hope that Eliza will be shown through media that she can grow up and be whatever she wants, and to go out and get what she wants with no apologies. The Doctor finally being cast as a woman was a huge step for the media in this country. I'm just so incredibly happy that Jodie has made this role her own, and she's bossing it!

It's inspiring to me. I've always been someone quite opinionated and that has left me wanting to use my voice to help change the world. I believe the majority of my generation are using their voices and we are finally being heard. I want to go out there and be a role model for Eliza, and my brother, Reuben. Women's portrayal in media is slowly changing. Don't get me wrong, there is still a long way to go, but we're on the right track. After all, the future is female.

What did you think of last nights Doctor Who premiere? Let me know in the comments.
Thanks for reading!
Bx

No comments:

Post a Comment