Friday 4 October 2019

My Fibromyalgia Diagnosis

Last year I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I've been going to the doctors with symptoms of the illness for years, and they finally told me that I have it. This was such a relief because now I had an answer to what was wrong with me. But at the same time, fibromyalgia isn't something I really want either.

Fibromyalgia is a long-term, incurable condition that causes chronic pain all over my body. I mainly get the pain in my legs, though. It can be triggered by something really simple like trapping your finger in a door, to breaking your back. Mine was for sure triggered by the latter. About ten years ago I had an accident in Finland where I really severely damaged my back; I've suffered from horrible back pain ever since.

My symptoms include my back pain, fibro fog (lack of concentration and forgetfulness), headaches/migraines, fatigue and struggles with sleep, widespread pain, severe period pains, restless leg syndrome and depression and anxiety. I cannot tell you how many times I've had blood tests for a check on my thyroid. It's almost like the doctors wouldn't accept any other issue with my health. I had scans to try and pinpoint why my periods were so heavy and painful but that always resulted in a prescription for the pill - not what I wanted. No one would connect the dots and all of my symptoms to look at the bigger picture.

It wasn't until my Mum's friend, who has fibro, starting telling Mum about all of her issues and symptoms, that we saw a load of similarities so decided to do some research. I found so many connections with what I read; it was from then on I knew I had fibro. So I went to the doctors with a HUGE list of fibromyalgia symptoms that I have and have been to the doctors about before. There was just no way you could deny that I have it.

fibro
I was sent to physiotherapy. It did absolutely nothing for me. I am currently waiting for a referral to CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) so I can learn how to manage the pain. I haven't been put on any meds except Naproxen during the winter when I had a particularly bad flare up. It really helped so I know that when things get bad there is something that will help me cope.

As I mentioned earlier, I mainly get my pain in my legs. Do you remember when you were growing up and you'd get growing pains? That's what the pain feels like, only way more intense. I get really bad pain in my knees; it feels like a sharp knife is slicing behind my kneecaps. Last December the pain was so bad that I couldn't put any weight on my leg. That's when I was put on the Naproxen.
I definitely noticed my symptoms are worse when the weather is colder. I can almost predict when the weather is going to get worse because I get an ache in my ankle or wrist, it's a skill.

I wasn't sure whether to write this because, although I have fibro, I'm not sure I really know enough about it. I was only diagnosed last August, so maybe when I know more about it and how to manage my pain, I'll write another post.

If you think you have fibromyalgia then I would seek medical advice, and make sure you're the one that brings it up - make them explore that possibility. I'm not a doctor and every experience is personal, so don't go off of my post alone. I would definitely do your own research, you can check out the NHS website for more information. Fibromyalgia symptoms are really similar to other chronic illnesses like ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis), so it's best to have a chat with someone in the medical field.
Bren.

No comments:

Post a Comment