Friday 4 October 2019

Art And Appreciation

I've always been around art; my Mum is an artist. Growing up I never really had an interest in it, probably because I wasn't very good at it. As I've grown older I've definitely learned to appreciate art a lot more.

I seem to have grown a pretty big fondness for historical art, more specifically Renaissance paintings. I made a list of my favourite artists and it was pretty clear I have a 'type'. Italian Renaissance artists mainly.

My list of artists I love include Leonardo Da Vinci, Sandro Botticelli, Michelangelo, Vincent Van Gogh, and Edvard Munch. Although the last two aren't Renaissance painters, I just adore looking at their paintings.

I've recently started getting in to creating art myself. I'm not very good, but I think art is subjective and there is no right or wrong way of doing it. It's been really enjoyable. It gives me a chance to disengage with reality; it clears my head. I recently got a new sketch book so I'm determined and excited to fill it up!

Art is a very personal and calming thing to do so I think it helps with my anxiety. Clearing my head and not having to think about things for a little while is for sure a great feeling. I can also express myself on the paper. I can do this with writing, but art feels different because it's like I'm the only one who knows what the outcome really means, so that makes it personal to me.
Even though I'm not great at art, I just love to look at it. I'm constantly on Pintrest pinning and admiring artwork by various artists. I have a few favourite pieces that I could look at all day every day. If you like any of the pieces I share below then follow me on Pintrest and see a lot more!
Here are some of the paintings that have really stuck out to me and that I could admire forever:

The Birth of Venus - Sandro Botticelli mid 1480's

venus
I am obsessed with Greek and Roman mythology, so this painting by Sandro Botticelli of the 'Birth of Venus' is something I just adore. Venus is the Roman Goddess of Love, Aphrodite in Greek mythology. Venus is essentially the same as Aphrodite but with some minor differences, but they don't really change who she is and what she does. The story of Venus starts with her Birth, where she arose from sea foam. She had many lovers and many children. Her most famous child is her Son, Cupid.
I love this painting but I can't really pin-point why. Its obviously a spectacular piece of art, and Venus looks beautiful. It just shows the pure beauty of femininity and female sexual empowerment which I adore! It's just such an amazing painting to look at.

The Scream - Edvard Munch 1893
scream
 This is for sure my favourite painting, ever. The colours and darkness about this painting intrigue me. It's colourful but the colours are muted which I find interesting. Like most of the paintings on this list, I wouldn't be able to tell you what exactly it is that draws me to this. There's just something about it. Art is subjective.

Starry Night - Vincent Van Gogh 1889
starry night
I think everyone knows this painting. It's very famous. I love Van Gogh's technique and distinguishable it is. In primary school my year group made a huge version of this painting and I loved it! I worked on the sky; it was so fun. I'm desperate to visit the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. Hopefully soon I be able to go.

The Creation of Adam - Michelangelo c. 1512
300px-Creación_de_Adán_(Miguel_Ángel)
This is probably one of, if not THE, most famous painting of all time. Painted on to the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City. It took Michelangelo four years to paint the whole Sistine Chapel ceiling. The Creation of Adam is just a section of the ceiling. The painting supposedly portrays the creation of man by God. God is the grey-bearded guy on the right who is stretching his arm out to meet Adams, who is the naked one on the left. I'm not religious, but I really appreciate the artwork that comes out of Catholicism, and this is one example. Italy is the one country I have always wanted to visit, mainly because of the art that has come out of it throughout history (but also because of the beautiful scenery and lush food).

Venus and Mars - Sandro Botticelli c.1485
venus and mars
Another painting by Botticelli, and another portrayal of Venus. This time she is seen here with one of her lovers, Mars. Mars is the Roman God of War. In Greek mythology he is known as Ares. I think anything involving Venus just instantly interests me and I take an immediate liking to it. She is, after all, my favourite Goddess. I also, obviously, really love Sandro Botticelli's work.
I would include some of Da Vinci's work, but there is no one piece of his I specifically love. I just really like looking at all his sketches that have been found and released.
I really suggest doing some art when you can. You don't have to be good and you also don't have to show anyone. It's a good way to relax and express yourself. Or if you don't want to do some art, then go look at some. Go to a museum or an art gallery and appreciate the hard work that goes in to creating something so important to history. Because, after all, paintings and drawings are a huge reason as to how we know about ancient historical events. Art is timeless.
Thanks for reading!
Bx

No comments:

Post a Comment